Thursday, March 4, 2021

One Inch Project


As I mentioned yesterday, I decided to make 100 of these one inch paintings. It sounds like a lot, I know, but they're so tiny that I usually paint at least two per session. In making that many I believe I'll have an opportunity to resolve issues as they come up and find some new and innovative approaches. 

So here's number three, which is on Bristol Smooth. I like the way the paint pools and moves on top of this harder paper. It doesn't absorb as much, making it more immediate. That makes it kind of unpredictable, of course! But that's part of the fun. 




Number four, also on Bristol Smooth. I used transparent watercolors for these. Some of the pigments stain more, some granulate, others are more transparent. It pays to learn how your colors work. I enjoyed the delicate color and touch of the blue sky color and the pale yellow blended below it. The secret is that the bright lemon yellow at the horizon was dropped in at the very end. 




Number five, again on Bristol Smooth, was painted with gouache. The image size was experimental, 1" x 1.25". I honestly like the square inch better, but I really like the way the gouache looks, so I may use it more frequently. 


Still learning. Still having fun! 











 

2 comments:

  1. Surprising how much you can get in such a tiny space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, yet I think the detail is often a result of what's implied more than what has been put into it. Suggest, don't describe, you know?

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

The Intention to Blog...

I always have such good intentions to post my paintings on this blog. (Isn't there something about the road paved with good intentions?)...