Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Winter Drama -- GIANT size (for me) 5"x7"


This is a painting done from a photo that I was graciously given permission to use. (Thank you, Gerald Parras!) It's got it all--a view of our mountains on a crisp winter day, sweeping vistas of the city, and a dramatic sky. I just loved painting that wind-whipped sky and the sunny range of snow covered mountains. The open spaces give a nice impression of the city receding away to the peaks, and the color contrasts are pleasing. How can you miss with blue and peach? It captures that warm-in-the-sunshine, cold-in-the-shadows kind of day we so often enjoy during winter here in New Mexico.

Yes, it's GIANT for me! You know I usually paint 2.5"x3.5" paintings, but this subject just called out for a bit larger (relatively speaking) format. It's on a piece of 5"x7" Fabriano Artistico 140 lb. cold press, a sample I had on hand. It's quite nice and if I have occasion I'll definitely invest in more. 

~Deborah

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deborah,
    love this painting. Love all of your paintings and to put so much into such a tiny size. However, you never did state what size this is. so, I was wondering what giant meant to you in gouache?

    Take care!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, thanks for pointing that out! Giant size for me is 5x7"!! That's four times the usual size I work. See? GIANT.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

One Inch Project, Numbers 9-17

I'm better at painting these one square inch paintings than I've been about posting them! I'm still having fun exploring these t...