Monday, October 11, 2010

Champagne Shadows


A small orchard in the hills near Santa Fe, Dixon Apple Farm, is famous for its Champagne Apples. I became the happy possessor of one bag full of these beauties and have been enjoying the delight of an apple a day (at least), and anticipate baked apples for dessert tonight.

In the last few days, I've been painting them, too. Apples aren't easy. They're so iconic. So simple. So round. And you know most people expect an apple to be red.

I cast a strong light on one, overlapped a few others, raised one up and then looked down on it. I even played with a starry sky behind one. I have six next to my elbow, and of the lot this is the only one I'm willing to share right now! But this one finally hit it for me... The orange-yellow made the greenish-yellow apple snap. The shadows behaved themselves. And the slice beamed up, creating a nice area of much needed contrast and some interesting shapes.

The only problem is, my subject matter is almost all gone now!I can't resist them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

The Intention to Blog...

I always have such good intentions to post my paintings on this blog. (Isn't there something about the road paved with good intentions?)...