Thursday, February 14, 2013

Green Shade


Shadows always enthrall me. I love the way they add drama to the ordinary scene and define the planes of the land. This was a sunny summer day in the north valley in Albuquerque. That shade felt so good! A great place to paint. (Although, just to be clear, this painting was done from a photo of the day, not on site.)

I snapped some process shots for you to see. I pencil in a quick sketch, then begin with the sky. Next I establish the sweep of the land and its shadow. Then I add the tree shapes very loosely. I add some tree edge details in the fourth step. 



I add some some trunks, as well as that dash of distant light that adds visual interest to the distance. In the sixth step I add some white clouds to the sky. Then I detail the grass in the foreground, and it's done! 


Painted in gouache on Bristol vellum, 2.5" x 3.5".

~Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

Splashing Around in Spring

I was recently inspired by some floral watercolor paintings I spotted on Instagram. Pamela Harnois does these lovely, quick, colorful floral...