Monday, March 22, 2021

One Inch Project, Numbers 9-17

I'm better at painting these one square inch paintings than I've been about posting them! I'm still having fun exploring these tiny ones. They're very dependent on high contrast, strong shape welding and color to succeed, and not so much on teeny details. When I hit all the marks they're quite convincing, despite being so small. 

Number 9. white trees



Number 10, mesa shadow



Number 11, purple sky



Number 12, cloud shadow


All four of the above are painted on Arches 140 lb cold press paper. It's a delight to paint on, as it absorbs water and has a nice light texture that allows for enough detail. 

The paintings below are all on Bristol smooth, which is much harder paper that lets the paint stay on top and results in a little more tiny detail touches. 

I cut the paper to 4"x4", and of course the images are 1"x1" in size. I tape the edges, so sometimes you'll see a teeny bit of a bobble where paint escapes the edge. I don't mind that, since these are hand painted. Perfection is for machines. 

Number 13, green grass shadow



Number 14, Colorado slope





Number 15, sage and pinon trees



Number 16, watermelon sunset


Number 17, yellow mesa


I've decided that including my thumb in the lower corner gives enough sense of scale and is less obtrusive looking. In reality they're quite tiny, literally postage stamp sized. At least on a computer you can enlarge the image to see the details. At home I hand out a magnifying glass when I show them. 


3 comments:

  1. They are all little gems Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your work. It’s good to find things to inspire and I’m grateful that you are posting. Love your pastel book…pdf. Thank you, Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

One Inch Project, Numbers 9-17

I'm better at painting these one square inch paintings than I've been about posting them! I'm still having fun exploring these t...